Followers

Thursday 20 April 2023

Creative Media Production: Urban Landscape Photography Two

 Today we looked at images by Thomas Struth, Micheal Wolf, and Wim Wenders.  The last term I concentrated on taking images thinking about the composition and framing of Thomas Struth.  I did still employ these techniques this term but I also wanted to get more images like Wim Wenders Places Strange and Quiet.  as it is always good to find places in the city that are abandoned, unused and unloved but have a stillness that is pure beauty. 



The image above exemplifies the places I was thinking about in my own city and is strangely similar as you will see from my own images.  Poyner states;  'In a secluded back yard in Moscow, he chances upon a framed painting of a stag done in orange, green and yellow, which is in curious, almost too perfect harmony with the walls and fallen leaves.' (Poyner, 2021)  

Before we set off we set our cameras to ISO 200 as it was sunny and although a windy day quite bright.  A wide aperture at F4 and then we could adjust from there.  I also used the Landscape pre-set for some images on the camera.  Here are the contacts for the shoot.

 





My test shots




These colour images I really wanted the depth of colour and texture to come through and here the triangular shapes against the arched really work and the red brick colour in lessening shades really work.



Here the blue sky really sings with this flat images of the Sound House that is in vibrant blue.



Here like the Wim Wenders I loved the quiet place and the abandoned shopping trolley, I shot this in both colour and Black nd white I think both work well and I will definitely use this in final portfolio.









A good shoot of the Cultural Quarter I think my own images this time will be of other quiet places in the city which I find interesting.  I am hoping for good weather at the weekend however maybe images in a storm would be good too!


References

Poyner, R. (2021) Wim Wenders' Strange and quiet places, Design Observer. Available at: https://designobserver.com/feature/wim-wenders-strange-and-quiet-places/26548 (Accessed: April 20, 2023). 


No comments:

Post a Comment