Followers

Wednesday 6 July 2022

Three Amazing Ideas: Summer Term II Media

 Another term and so new ideas are imperative!  Although last term I did not complete my book project that I was hoping to add to and still want to work on this.  I also want to go back to looking at NFT's as I had started to explore this and so I would like to create some new photographic work for this purpose. 

Thinking about photography and themes I would like to investigate, here are some ideas;

I am still interested in memory and remembrance so above is an example of a photographer Steve Pyke from Leicester who photographed his children growing up.  Pyke states where he got his ideas;  'David Attenborough did it first, with a dead mouse that eventually had maggots in it. I thought: what an amazing thing to do with a human being, film someone on Super 8 from birth to death. When Jack was 20 minutes old, I made my first image of him, with the idea  that the death at the end of the cycle would be mine, not his.' (Morrison et al., 2013) I liked this idea as I had done something very similar with my own son. When he was young I used to take him to passport booths so I have lots and lots of sets of these passport booth images.  Obviously they became less frequent as he got older and I have just finished my last one as he has now finished school (he is 16 years old) and I am not sure he will let me do anymore.  For this project I would need to look at memory in a different way and perhaps I could think about revisitation and recreation.  Revisiting the site of old photos and recreating could be interesting.


The second idea would be to use dreams - although I often this is like going into a black hole and the work does not always come out how I expect.  Joan Fontcuberta  made a machine that was supposed to photograph people's thoughts, many have tried to create a dream machine that can record dreams.  I have tried this before and this was the result:


This used images and photoshop to create the bleeding tears in the sky with the abstract dream images.  I would like to experiment again with this as I did enjoy creating this one.

The third idea is to illustrate and interpret a poem through photography - I did something like this at university and I would not mind revisiting this idea as I could use any poem or even my own poetry.  I am more inclined to use someone else's poem as then it would be fresh and the ideas would be independent of the poem itself.  This is actually called Photopoetry and there are many examples of artists using this method.  'The term 'photopoetry' and its various alternatives - photopoème, photometry, photoverse, photo-graffiti etc. - attempt to describe an art form in which poetry and photography are equally important and, often, directly and symbiotically related. Michael Nott suggests that:

the relationship between poem and photograph has always been one of disruption and serendipity, appropriation and exchange, evocation and metaphor'  Here are a couple of examples:




So I have a few ideas now I need to make a decision on which one I would like to develop and I will follow this post with further research.

References

Morrison, B., Perry, G., O'Hagan, S., Kiss, J. and Searle, A. (2013) The power of photography: time, mortality and memory. [online] the Guardian. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/interactive/2013/may/19/power-photography-time-mortality-memory [Accessed 4 July 2022].

Jefferies, S., (2014) Joan Fontcuberta: false negatives. [online] the Guardian. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/jul/08/joan-fontcuberta-stranger-than-fiction [Accessed 4 July 2022].

Nicholls, J., Tallis, T. and Ling, K., (2022). PhotoPoetry. [online] PhotoPedagogy. Available at: https://www.photopedagogy.com/photopoetry.html [Accessed 6 July 2022].



No comments:

Post a Comment