Followers

Wednesday 5 August 2020

Photographic Plan: Subject & Theme

A couple of years ago I created a one-off piece of work which was just called 'suck and blow' (2018) I have been thinking about this piece of work as I think the layout of the images could really work for the panels I would like to create in this new work.  

Suck & Blow (2018) Zoe Van-de-Velde

The use of the four corners could work well as I was considering the idea of using ritual magic elements of earth, air, fire, and water and so the panels would almost become a working magical altar.  

These are usually represented by symbols as below: 


So in the panels, I will create I will use this idea of an altar  - here is an altar based on the ideas of the Golden Dawn.  The Golden Dawn was a magical order; 'The original Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, which started in the late 1800s, borrowed from a wide variety of occult traditions of Kabalah, Tarot, Geomancy, Enochian Magic, Theosophy, Freemasonry, Paganism, Astrology, and many more o and created a unique and viable system of magic that is still being practiced today.' (Regardie 1986) 


Like Chadwick's work I want to use the flesh in the images and the idea of anonymity and universality, I would like to incorporate so each panel maybe like a Japanese poem painting will be symbolic with flesh and objects relating to the element it represents.  These panels would then become a magical altar.  I am going to research further into the placement of symbols and objects in ritual magic to consider how to create each piece faithfully.


References


Museum of Witchcraft & Magic (2017) 960 – SLATE ALTAR WITH HEXAGRAMS AND TRIANGLES [Online] Available From: https://museumofwitchcraftandmagic.co.uk/object/altar-3/
(Accessed 05/08/20)

No comments:

Post a Comment