Followers

Monday 15 January 2024

Above & Below: Class Practice

 Today we completed a class practice task called 'Above and Below' this was to practice taking high and low angle portraits and to practice the setting on the camera.  The settings we practiced were aperture, ISO and exposure compensation.

In class we looked at the images of Corrine Day and Terry O'Neill, here is another example.  In this low angle shot the faces of the Stones look down upon the viewer into the photographer's lens.  The shot works as there are triangles that interlock perfectly within the image and the faces fill the frame so the rooftop above does not dominant and the faces looking at you engage the viewer directly.  


The Rolling Stones (1964) By Terry O'Neill

We went out on campus and with a partner took portrait images, I did not have a partner so I just practiced low and high-angle images. 

When we returned we created contact sheets o Photoshop, to do this we Clicked on File - automate and then contact sheet and then we chose the file that we had created on the desktop with our images.






I then looked at the EXIF details of my images and I will go through a few of my shots here and explain how the functions and setting worked to create the shot along with the framing and composition


F5.6, ISO 200, 1/125 shutter speed, No Exposure Compensation, Focal length 55mm

In this high-angle image I have used a wide aperture of F5.6 so that there was lots of light coming in, the ISO was on 200 as it was a sunny bright day so the camera only needed to be low sensitivity to light and there was no exposure compensation so I did not under or overexpose the image.  The light works well in this image as it hits the side of the head and back of the coat and this is a rule of thirds image and there are no distractions in the background.  it is not a particularly engaging shot as you cannot see the woman's face however compositionally and technically this works well.

F5.5, 1/250, ISO 200, Focal Length 49mm, no exposure compensation

I picked this next low-angle image as it looks a little like one of those stock photos you get on brochures for universities with happy students and the student union in the background! here the three men are sharing something amusing on the phone and the light in this image is bright and comes from the right-hand side  There is the busy air of a university with people behind entering the DSU and above the students and interesting play on light is created with the sun hitting the windows above them.  the students are standing slightly to the side giving a pleasing use of the rule of thirds and are framed slightly by the window frame behind them.  This shot works quite well both technically and compositionally, in an ideal situation I would have photographed the students closer up so I could more clearly convey the expressions on their faces. here the shutter speed is faster as the image was brighter so the camera used less time to let light in otherwise this would have overexposed on a faster shutter speed.


F5.6, 1/1250, ISO 200, FL 55mm, no exposure compensation

What are these pair up to above?  One looks like he is angry at the other as he is close to his face or he could have just been particularly excited about something he is explaining.  The shot here the two are in the middle of the shot, the shutter speed is very fast as the sun is very bright.  The relationship of the two men in the image makes the viewer want to know what they might be saying.  The sign above them with the big woman's face looms and is balanced by the road name 'Mill Lane'.  The shadows cast in the foreground are jagged and are lines that lead to the men, which works well on a composition.  I like the curved metalwork on the left-hand side of the images this makes the framing more interesting visually.  Overall I do like this shot as has something interesting going on and I want to know more..  This was a practice and I think I would choose the last shot as my low angled shot

F5.5, ISO 200, 1/125, FL 50mm, no exposure compensation

The above shot I think I would choose as my best high-angled shot.  I really like here the balance of the girl in the foreground with the headphones and the girl walking the other way and looking across the road.  The eye is drawn to the girl's face and she has a slightly bemused expression with a Mona Lisa smile.  The signs on the road with the Bike and the arrow lead us to her position in the shot and I love the cracks in the road that she is about to step upon, there is a strip of bright light in the background but most of the shot is in shadow and the shutter speed is slower her to compensate for this.  this frame does really work and I am happy that I have two shots that I think are interesting from this short shoot.

I created a final piece but used another image as this juxtaposed better and the balance works here.  i call this Don't Look Now



I am looking forward to creating a more in-depth portrait project in the coming couple of weeks but this was a fun and interesting practice and made me consider more compositional techniques and framing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment