Followers

Tuesday 23 January 2024

Studio Portraits Practice

 We spent yesterday completing studio and natural light portrait practice.  I stayed in the studio as I was directing the model and tutoring the students in settings. I took some test shots and created contact sheets





We began this shoot using ISO 100, Aperture priority and then we adjusted setting as we took different set ups.  I will now discuss some of the shots, the set up, composition and settings for each shot.

We have arranged the different poses through visual research and the model had the poses in front of her so we could change these quickly in the pre-planned set ups.  This is the model pose that we used 



F5.6, 1/8 ISO 100. 0 exposure bias

This is the final result, my shutter was a little slow here but the pose and the high key set up worked well here in colour with the bright clothes.


Another set up was on a low key background and using over the shoulder poses so that there was a good contrast with the light skin and dark clothes and a more moody set up 

F5.6, 1/6, ISO 200, -1.3, FL 42mm

In this shot the expression of the model and the framing work really well low key light - the shutter speed is a little too slow here and if I was doing a longer session I would have used a tripod to ensure a higher level of sharpness to this shot.

F5.6, 1/8, ISO 200, -1.7, 34mm

Again good framing and composition and the light work really well here but the shutter still too slow and this is a little soft, the use of exposure compensation heightens the low key set up. 

F5.6, 1/13, ISO 100, O step, FL39mm

This is  a good clear,, high shot that I took just at the beginning of the set up to test light as can be seen I used a low ISO of 100 and there was no expsure compensation as the skin colour and brightness was correct here. 


F5.6, 1/13, ISO 100, O step, FL46mm

A closer-up shot using the over-the-shoulder pose but in high key again really highlights the model's face and this brings the viewers' attention to her eyes, this shot does have some good impact. 

This was a good shoot, obviously, I have only the test shots here as I was setting these up for students but it was a good introduction to studio work and some good use of camera settings and I'm hoping it will assist students in the use of the lighting set up in the studio. 






No comments:

Post a Comment