Followers

Sunday 9 October 2022

Sequential Images: Individual Work - Feminism

 This week in class we discussed and created sequential images, for our own individual project we planned an idea in class to carry out for self-study.  The images I planned in class I sketched out see below.

The idea was to show feminist issues through the sequence by adding an issue for each image.  When I was planning this sequence I was considering the fourth wave of feminism and how successful that had been. Britannica states that the fourth wave of feminism began in 2012, 'with a focus on sexual harassment, body shaming, and rape culture, among other issues. A key component was the use of social media to highlight and address these concerns. The new wave arose amid a number of high-profile incidents. In December 2012 a young woman was brutally gang-raped in India and subsequently died, sparking local protests and international interest' (feminism - The fourth wave of feminism, 2022)  Ten years later and still social media acts as both friend and foe to women as there is a still much work to do on all these issues but as with the first three waves of feminism we still have not managed to secure equal rights globally. To read about the waves of feminism please click here.

Going back to the images, I set up my Olympus OM-D E-M10II, I set it up on a tripod and started with settings of ISO 250, F8.  I used a remote trigger to be able to complete the images whilst in position as I was the subject.  I took around 280 images so I ended up with 10 contact sheets so I won't post all these here!  

Here are a few just so you can see the setup and process.



I kept the pose and set up the same however in the first shots the words could not be read easily so I changed where the words were placed on the legs.



ISO 250, F7.1, Shutter Speed 1/13

This shot gives the idea of what I was trying to achieve in the images.  In my next post I will show the final sequence.


References


Encyclopedia Britannica (2022) feminism - The fourth wave of feminism. [online] Available at: https://www.britannica.com/topic/feminism/The-fourth-wave-of-feminism [Accessed 9 October 2022].

No comments:

Post a Comment