Followers

Tuesday 2 May 2023

Timed Writing: Beginning my book...

 Monday 


Oh the misery! another day seeing my dreadful students in the Philosophy 101.  These students, I don't think they have ever had a single thought about anything that is outside of themselves.  I could cry thinking about the future of Philosophy itself!  Aside from it being Monday and having the worst class ever, my stomach is still playing up and Doctor Smallback is sending me for 'further tests'.  There should be dignity and grace in old age but it seems there is only humiliation, indignity and memory loss!

I did not think the memory was that bad, and I can recite Hegel at will and consider deeply his idea of the actualization of the will, but I can never find my glasses, the book I was reading yesterday or where I left my keys.  I wish Hegel could explain these things to me, I think I would be better here at thinking of the philosophy of Montaigne, I remember clearly he said; ‘to learn that we have said or done a stupid thing is nothing, we must learn a more ample and important lesson: that we are but blockheads… On the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses.’ And, lest we forget: ‘Kings and philosophers shit, and so do ladies.’ - he was not afraid to face our bodily functions and I am starting to think we should focus more on how our bodily functions really affect our thoughts..

Damn it all, I also met with Dean today, he is a new appointment and is a pompous ass!  He obviously has been educated at one of these new universities and kept talking about meetings and how they should be more 'experiential' worse, so much worse than that, he started going on about a 'team building day trip', I would rather eats maggots...why in the world do I need to get know people I work with better!  I frankly see quite enough of them each week and I really don't want to know or see anymore of them, or listen to them, or have to interact with them 'socially' - my god, what a bore! 


Tuesday

Had a terrible dream/nightmare that I was stuck in a lift with my work colleagues, the Dean and the student that smells of garlic constantly.  I was screaming to get out in the end, the lift got hotter and hotter, the phone was broken in the lift and the smelly kid had started to touch me.  I woke up sweating and hyperventilating.  I think my blood pressure is too high, I need to see Doctor Smallback again, I am afraid he thinks I am a hypochondriac and I hate the smell of his rooms they remind me of death.

A small pleasure I have in life is smoking - I do love a cigarette, the post-prandial cigarette is truly a joy, the meal of course has to be good for the cigarette to be perfect.  I digress after my terrible dream I went outside onto the porch and sat on the steps it was early and it was quiet, then I look over to my neighbour across the road (another single man) and he appeared to be digging in his garden, I could only see the spade moving back and forth and the earth flying about, the small fence covered the area itself.  Very odd man, 

1 comment:

  1. I like the narration, the atmosphere, it reminds me of the first chapters of ,Disgrace' by John M. Coetzee. I'm waiting for the next part.

    ReplyDelete