Followers

Monday 8 May 2023

Timed Writing Exercise: Continuing my book - Professor Zimmerman's Diaries

 Wednesday

Yesterday, rudely interrupted when writing by the stupid telephone, the Dean had called me, at home!  Unbelievable!  There is no peace from that man he wanted to know what I would be contributing to the termly staff meeting and how it would be interactive so that the staff would engage, he let the word linger for what seemed like hours.  I lit a cigarette and considered the best possible ways of killing him.  Death my lawnmower, falling out of the staff room window (while have an experiential moment with tears welling up in his eyes!), he has actually cried in a staff meeting and then 'shared' some painful illness that his son had suffered, and his terrible time in the hospital.   In a staff meeting, really, God, I hate oversharing! I really don't need to know the inner feelings of my work colleagues. 

Well, rant over, I will calm myself to tell you, my imaginary reader, more about my young student, Honey Devlin.  This boy, this scruffy urchin, is a most important find, I would go as far to say THE most important find.  There he was in the tutorial chair (it is a special chair, purple, worsted, and has housed the bottoms of students for decades)  picking nervously at the threadbare arm when suddenly, as if the courage has just entered him like a spirit, he leans forward and says: 'I need to tell you a true story of a miracle, and how we must pursue an investigation into the proving the miraculous without delay.  I have proof, this is not a joke and I am not a spiritual person.  This miracle will change the course of everything.' Of course, at first I laughed, he's eccentric, I liked him.  But he appeared deadly serious and not a religious nut at all.  In fact by the end of his story I understood why he wanted to pursue this academic path, as he truly believed in academia itself. I was so taken aback I agreed to a strange meeting with him, which was to take place at Best Buy the local electrical store on its last legs on the edge of town. I was to meet him there at 7pm, well the day just took a far more interesting turn that expected!  


No comments:

Post a Comment