Followers

Monday 16 October 2023

Major Project: Initial Ideas

 For this term my first idea is that I use photography but I would also like to use some mixed media to create an art collection of between 4-6 images that could be my portfolio for this term. Maurizo Anzeri has good examples of this idea, in this image he has overlaid the Photograph with embroidery creating a strange mask over the woman underneath.  I like the muted colour palette here and this kind of sepia look is a possibility for my own work. 




In this image the pink embroidery again really works over the black and white image and actually this image reminded me of Lazslo Moholy Nagy's work, it has a kind of constructivist sensibility to it. 

My second idea is to create images and turn them into a film a little like Chris Marker so it may be a combination of personal images with stock images - this will create a narrative like La Jetée (1962) - A short movie by Chris Marker or San Soleil.  La Jetee is a science fiction movie that was the basis of Twelve Monkeys, [Terry Gilliam's] '12 Monkeys (1995), his 1995 film inspired by La Jetée, develops Chris Marker’s ideas even further'(Filmicmag, 2015) . Filmicmag states; 'An interesting cinematic spectacle unlike anything I’ve seen recently, the artistry behind Chris Marker’s seminal film, La Jetée, is groundbreaking. Simplistic in scope, yet vastly deep in its subtext, the film is told through a combination of still monochrome images and the voice-over of a man.' (Filmicmag, 2015).  When I first saw this I was in my first year at university and its photographic beauty is astounding.  I would take black and white images and create a story - this can be narrated and/or there could be subtitles.  There is a simplicity to the images but the soul and longing are palpable throughout and it is the stillness of this moving film.


La Jetee by Chris Marker (1962)


Sans Soleil (Sunless) - Chris Marker 1983

San Soleil is an epic that goes around the world a woman narrates the story and talks about the place the people, and the stories, the diegetic sound comes through quieter and louder depending on the place and the colour and life moves through the world, this a moving film rather than photographs but includes still images and the beauty of the stillnesss again comes through and the film covers so much of life war, sex, work, children, life...

I like the idea of moving between the images, feeling life breathe in-between the images, there have been papers on that moment between images, or the moment we press the shutter. I like the ideas here I want to tell a still story that moves through narrative, through time.  

References

Filmicmag (2015) A comparison of 12 Monkeys & La Jetée, Filmic. Available at: https://filmicmag.com/2015/12/29/a-comparison-of-12-monkeys-la-jetee/ (Accessed: 16 October 2023). 

No comments:

Post a Comment