Followers

Friday 6 October 2023

Sequential Images: Self Study - Stiller Schmerz (Silent Pain)

 To complete this week I am creating another set of sequential images using the skills that we have learned this week in class and looking further at an artist we discussed in class. I wanted to use Jurgen Klauke again as his formalising boredom images are my inspiration for my own piece. 

Jurgen Klauke, Formalisierung der Langeweile, 1980, Photographic work, 3 parts

Klauke is a photographer and performance artist and his work here, I believe, reflects the boredom and self-destructive nature of living in a modern world where more and more people look inward rather than outside themselves as the world itself is overwhelming.  Annuly Juda states that within Klauke's work; 'The self is walled in within its paranoid condition and, at times, entangled with itself.' (Juda, 2023).

In my own work, I would like to express my own pain, not because I do not want to look outside, but because my own pain is generally a private affair that no one else would know existed upon seeing me.  I will be calling this piece, Stiller Schmerz (Silent Pain).  This piece will be four images and I am hoping to create this just in the studio with myself, a chair, and a glass jar. 

I photographed in the studio and I created these once with a Canon 700D, ISO 400, 1/4, F4.5.  This was a very slow shutter speed and I was using a tripod and self-timer mode. I also used my Samsung A71 phone and created a second set using black & white settings (I will add these later...I have added them below!) The second set were again on a tripod 1/15, F2, ISO 1000





I created a contact sheet using the contact sheet generator and then I went onto Pixlr.  I created a canvas in Black by clicking on 'create new' and then choosing A4 and a black background.  I then went to 'page' in the top menu and page rotation to adjust to orientation to Landscape.  I then went to the file and open to open each image I wanted to use I selected these and then copied and pasted onto the canvas.  I then used the transform controls to adjust the size and laid them out using the gridline.  I added text using the text tool and changed the font to Georgia 60pts and changed the colour to white.



Reflecting on this set of images I felt I created the look I wanted to create and the concept was as I had imagined in this case.  The images worked work and as they needed no adjustments and the framing and studio background worked to make this simple and effective.  With more time I would have created more images and when I add my phone version I may make another set just to compare as I had some different poses that I think worked well.  

My favourite image from both shoots was the one below, I like the over-exposure, the grasping at the jar the singularity of the image. Stiller Schmerz indeed.

1/15, F2. ISO 1600


References

Juda, A. (2023) Jürgen Klauke - Overview, Annely Juda Fine Art. Available at: https://www.annelyjudafineart.co.uk/artists/83-jurgen-klauke/overview/ (Accessed: 06 October 2023). 

No comments:

Post a Comment