Followers

Sunday 23 April 2023

Urban Landscape: Quality Control & Curation

 After choosing which images I might include in my portfolio from both my class shoot of the cultural quarter and my own 'quiet shoot' of abandoned places I began the quality control of the images and curation in earnest.

Checked the view at 100% and actual size so I did this on Photoshop by clicking onto 'View' then '100%' or 'Actual Size'  then I used the hand tool to check the images and move around.   When I was happy with my checks I then clicked back on the top menu and 'View' and then 'Fit to screen' 



The next check I did was crop and straighten so I clicked on the crop tool the left hand menu and then I could crop anything that was unnecessary on my frame and then I clicked return.  To straighten I clicked on the crop tool again but this time I hung over a corner with me arrow so that I could straighten using the grid that appeared then again pressed return on keyboard.




The next tool I used was using the top menu 'Image' and then 'Adjustments' and then went 'Curves'and gently adjusted the light level to make it a little brighter.  I then wet back to adjustments and then vibrance and added vibrance +23 which made the image really pop. 


I also used adjustments and saturation to bring out the colour images.



After considering how my images would work together I also looked at how other had considered work for curation.  I will here discuss the work of Alexander Dorner (1893–1957); 'Dorner is mostly associated with creating the “Abstract Cabinet” together with El Lissitzky as well as “The Room of the Present” with Lazlo Moholy-Nagy, both at the State Museum in Hanover, Germany.'(Artnet News, 2017).  I wanted to discuss this curator as the work that he curated I consider to be exceptionally important to photographic history, Dornor was one one of the youngest curators every apppointed at only 25 years old.  He wanted to promote the avant-garde work of artists in to 1920s and 30s; 'Dorner was one of the early and great leaders of avant-garde art collecting in Germany in the 1920s and 1930s concentrating in Constructivist art for the collection focusing on Piet Mondrian, Naum Gabo, Kazimir Malevich, and El Lissitzky' (Dictionary of Art Historians 2023). In Germany with the Bauhaus movement, Dada and then the Surrrealists, the constructivists and an explosion of change in art which reflected a society that had come out of war but was on the verge of great upheaval and change with World War II on the horizon, the rise of the Nazis was about to begin. Dorner was innovative in how he wanted to curate and present the artists work at the time to the public.  With Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, Dorner commisioned the artist to create '"Raum der Gegenwart" (Room of the Present) which was designed to include film projections, although the space was never realized.' (Dictionary of Art Historians 2023). 


Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, Photogram (Date unknown) Moholy Nagy stated in 1936; ;Thanks to the photographer, humanity has acquired the power of perceiving its surroundings, and its very existence with new eyes.”;'(Jasminedirectory- et al., 2020)

Dornor worked in America as director of the Art Museum at the Rhode Island School of Design in 1938 and his career was thriving until the outbreak of war and the fact that he was German and had a brother in the Luftwaffe he had to leave his position despite a clear anti-Nazi history and his work on exposing the Nazis and their idea of degenerate art..  Dornor had created dramatic installations and displays that appealed to the public and were full of innovation in the gallery and museum space. Dornor's passion for art and pushing the boundaries should have been more celebrated and considered.  

References

Artnet News (2017) Who are the most influential curators of the last century? 19 art-world tastemakers weigh in, Artnet News. Available at: https://news.artnet.com/art-world/influential-curators-last-century-19-art-world-tastemakers-weigh-1090805 (Accessed: April 23, 2023). 

Dorner, alexander (no date) Dorner, Alexander | Dictionary of Art Historians. Available at: https://arthistorians.info/dornera (Accessed: April 23, 2023). 

-, B.R.G. et al. (2020) The modern self: Laszlo Moholy-Nagy, Jasmine's Business Blog. Available at: https://www.jasminedirectory.com/blog/the-modern-self-laszlo-moholy-nagy/ (Accessed: April 23, 2023). 

Den Haag, K. (2018) Laszlo Moholy-Nagy: The Art of Light, Kunstmuseum Den Haag. Available at: https://www.kunstmuseum.nl/en/exhibitions/laszlo-moholy-nagy (Accessed: April 23, 2023). 

No comments:

Post a Comment